Southeast Mexico Regional Childhood Cancer Network
Project Sites: Hospital del Niño DIF, Hidalgo (HNH) & Hospital de la Niñez Oaxaqueña (HNO), Oaxaca
Twinning Partner: Children’s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO
Regional Director: Dr. Arturo Moreno Ramire of Veracruz
Project Leaders: Dr. Terrie Flatt, Children’s Mercy Hospital
Project Mentors: Dr. Scott Howard, World Child Cancer USA
Summary: Around 800 childhood cancer cases are expected in the southeast region of Mexico. Many of these children do not have access to diagnosis or treatment due to distance from the hospital and lack of awareness of the symptoms and curability of childhood cancer. At both of our partner hospitals, survival rates are around 50% and approximately 20% of children do not complete treatment. World Child Cancer is facilitating the training of healthcare professionals, educating parents on treatment compliance, raising awareness of childhood cancer – all with the goal of improving survival rates and quality of life for children with cancer in Mexico.
- Trained 300 medical professionals including doctors and nurses.
- Created parent education materials to improve treatment compliance
- Installed childhood cancer databases at both hospital sites
- Delivered a container of much needed medical supplies and equipment via a partnership with Project C.U.R.E.
- Supplied essential medications including antibiotics, anti fungal and chemotherapy medications in order to improve survival rates.